Saturday, June 8, 2013

Making the pieced sashing and borders

I bought some bright fabric called Avalon and some subdued fabric called Audra's Iris garden hoping it would go together OK. Luckily it seems to work. I will probably use these fabrics for the most part of the applique blocks. I will use some scraps as well.

To make the long strips of 2 1/2 inch squares I cut wof strips then cut then in half. I made up piles of similar colours and values then moved them around a bit til I had 8 piles of 8. I then set about sewing them into groups of 4 strips. There is still a way to go.

There are a lot of squares!

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sewing row three

The other day I made the stem and started ironing on the hearts and leaves for row 3.


I have done the backgrounds for rows 5 and 7 as well.




Friday, February 8, 2013

Row 3 cut out

Managed to get the hearts and leaves cut out ready to fuse for row 3. They are safely in a zip lock bag in the display folder for this quilt.



Thursday, February 7, 2013

Beginning row 5

I don't have the background fabrics yet so I have been cutting out the pieces ready to put on as soon as I buy it. This row is the shades of purple row. I am still not sure if I will make all the stems the same. I think I have enough of the plain green and it is easy to buy more so probably the same so far.


I am keeping the pieces in a display folder so they all stay together in one place.



Sunday, January 27, 2013

Fabrics for flower rows

The other day I went through my stash and found a series of purples and a series of reds and oranges ready to cut out the pieces for rows 3 and 5.
Yesterday I was trying to clear a bit of space to work on the North Pole quilt and nearly plonked my pile of fabrics back into the box not realizing they were for Nanna's Farm. Realized just in time and they are now safely placed (not actually safely put away yet).
I need to buy up some creams and beiges to do the backgrounds for these rows.
I should start some of the smaller blocks.


Sunday, January 13, 2013

Preparing more panels

My next step was to scan some of the specialty blocks and flip them horizontally in Preview. I printed them out and traced off the appliqué paper for the bowl of flowers.
I placed the block pages into a display folder and stored the appliqué paper pieces in it.

I would like to make a nice block holder with cardboard in the covers to store the separate blocks. And maybe make a nice fabric container for the fabric collection. I like the look of some of the Ikea fabrics.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Starting Nanna's Frm

I bought the pattern in 2010 from Patchwork Pumpkin. It was a buy one get one free deal so I got Flower Garden too. Throughout 2011 I bought up fabrics but over the years I have used a lot of them up. Finally at the end of 2012 I picked out some suitable fabrics and got started.
I had a few of the appliqué pieces traced onto the fusible paper from quilt group so I had to make up the background and attach the stem for panel 1. I fused the flowers and leaves and sewed around all the flowers and some of the leaves. I put it in WIP Wednesday with this post. Val Spiers Sews: WIP Wednesday - Nanna's Farm